Monday, March 30, 2015

Fabulous Fundamental: In-laid Die Cuts

Dies, dies, dies...I can't get enough of them...sigh. They are uber versatile and I love how uniform the die cut is. So to further my love of dies, I have spent a "fair" (wink wink) amount of time perusing pinterest and stalking blogs for unique and interesting ways of using dies.

Below is my take on cards I found on pinterest...and as it happens I made several of these for the card swap but in the end, they didn't make the cut!

This card was made using distress inks painted onto water colour paper using a water brush. I actually love the perfectly imperfect look. After I applied the inks, I let it air dry and then spritzed it with some Ranger Perfect Pearls for some shine. You can't see the shimmer in this image...sorry but there is just a little something extra on it.

When the water colours were completely dried, I die cut the "happy" sentiment. For this card, I wanted the "happy" sentiment to be slightly elevated so I cut another 4-5 sentiments and glued them together. Then I inserted the sentiment into the die cut watercolour paper, matching up the colours.

Also I flicked on some Prima charcoal mist. I remembered watching a Ranger video where the artist mentioned black makes colour pop so that is what I did. Unfortunately the black Prima mist smudged and hence did not make the card swap cut. I'm not sure why the mist smudged because I let it air dry overnight but it was a bit disappointing to me as was the leaking nozzle. The "happy" die is from Wplus9. This die gets alot of mileage as I pair it with sentiments such as birthday, anniversary and so on.


Another look that I've seen Jennifer McGuire profile is the non-dimensional inlaid die cut look. Its beautiful, easy to replicate and looks like a million bucks! This "hello" die is also from Wplus9.  (If you are interested in these dies, just pop an email to Sandy.)


Thanks for dropping by - I am going to showcasing the stunning cards from the card swap!

No comments: